Published online Sep 18, 2018. doi: 10.5312/wjo.v9.i9.149
Peer-review started: March 2, 2018
First decision: March 18, 2018
Revised: July 3, 2018
Accepted: July 14, 2018
Article in press: July 15, 2018
Published online: September 18, 2018
To compare clinical outcomes of patients with and without preoperative genu recurvatum (GR) following mobile bearing unicompartmental knee arthroplasty (UKA).
We prospectively followed 176 patients for at least 24 mo who had been treated by unilateral, minimally invasive, Oxford UKA. Patients with medial osteoarthritis (OA) knee and preoperative GR (Group I) accounted for 18% (n = 32) and patients without preoperative GR (Group II) accounted for the remaining 82% (n = 144). Knee score, pain scores, and functional scores were assessed for each patient and compared between the two groups. The incidence of postoperative GR and the postoperative hyperextension angles also were recorded and analyzed.
The pain score, knee score and functional score were not significantly different between the two groups. Similarly, the incidence of postoperative GR and the measured hyperextension angles were not significantly different between the two groups. The incidence of postoperative GR was 1/32 (3.12%) in Group I and 1/144 (0.69%) in Group II (P = 0.34). The mean postoperative hyperextension angles were 2.40° ± 2.19° (range: 1°-7°) for Group I and 1.57° ± 3.51° (range: 1°-6°) for Group II (P = 0.65).
Medial OA of the knee and concomitant GR is not a contraindication for the mobile bearing UKA.
Core tip: There is no previous study addressing the results of mobile bearing unicompartmental knee arthroplasty (UKA) in medial osteoarthritis (OA) knees with preexisting genu recurvatum (GR). This study determined the clinical outcomes and incidence of postoperative GR of medial OA knees with and without preexisting GR following mobile bearing UKA. Clinical outcomes, postoperative GR and hyperextension angle were evaluated at minimal 2 years of follow-up. Medial OA knees with and without GR showed no difference in clinical outcomes, incidence of postoperative GR or hyperextension angle. Therefore, medial OA knee with preoperative GR is not a contraindication for mobile bearing UKA.