Published online Nov 16, 2022. doi: 10.4253/wjge.v14.i11.684
Peer-review started: August 28, 2022
First decision: September 12, 2022
Revised: September 28, 2022
Accepted: October 27, 2022
Article in press: October 27, 2022
Published online: November 16, 2022
Endoscopic resection for duodenal gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs) is still considered a great challenge with a high risk of complications, including per
To assess the effectiveness and safety of endoscopic resection for duodenal GISTs.
Between January 2010 and January 2022, 11 patients with duodenal GISTs were treated with endoscopic resection. Data were extracted for the incidence of com
The incidence of successful complete resection of duodenal GISTs was 100%. Three cases (27.3%) had suspected positive margins, and the other 8 cases (72.7%) had negative vertical and horizontal margins. Perforation occurred in all 11 patients. The success rate of perforation closure was 100%, while 1 patient (9.1%) had suspected delayed perforation. All bleeding during the procedure was managed by endoscopic methods. One case (9.1%) had delayed bleeding. Postoperative infection occurred in 6 patients (54.5%), including 1 who developed septic shock and 1 who developed a right iliac fossa abscess. All 11 patients recovered and were discharged. The mean hospital stay was 15.3 d. During the follow-up period (14-80 mo), duodenal stenosis occurred in 1 case (9.1%), and no local recurrence or distant metastasis were detected.
Endoscopic resection for duodenal GISTs appears to be an effective and safe minimally invasive treatment when performed by an experienced endoscopist.
Core Tip: This study presents the findings on endoscopic resection for duodenal gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Endoscopic resection of duodenal gastrointestinal stromal tumors is a great challenge. This study aimed to assess the effectiveness and safety of endoscopic resection for duodenal gastrointestinal stromal tumors. The rate of successful complete resection was 100%. Intraoperative perforation occurred in all 11 patients. The success rate of perforation closure was 100%. All 11 patients recovered. During the follow-up period (14-80 mo), duodenal stenosis occurred in 1 case (9.1%), and no local recurrence or distant metastases were detected.